Thursday, July 11, 2013

What a wonderfully quiet day

It stopped thunder-storming for a bit and, while the waves aren't much, there is almost no one on the beach, which gives a sense of space that's rare for south Jersey in July.  I'll miss it down here, but the waves in Narragansett are particularly uniform and early in the morning and late in the afternoon the surf traffic quiets down nicely.  Besides, there's the Mystic and Newport areas to explore.

I also managed to pick up a bunch of John D. MacDonald thrillers at the local used paperback store, so I've got something to keep me amused for the week of camping.  So, a nice dinner at the bar where I first went when I returned to the US from overseas almost forty years ago, still there and better than ever, and a couple of pleasant beers and it's bedtime around 6 or 7 so that I can make the middle-of-the-night drive all the way up the Garden State Parkway.

I could really use the bi-monthly allotment from my retirement, though.  Two nights in a resort motel in July weren't really in the budget.  Thank God for direct deposit.  It would be hard to be a surf bum without it.