Saturday, July 13, 2013

American Ugly

Staying aloof from the news, I'm only just realizing that the media are really, really trying to whoop up a riot and some vandalism and murder if the verdict in some court case doesn't go the way they want.  I gleaned this from the radio and from a conversation with the really nice folks in the campsite next to mine.  I'm staggered that professionals don't seem to realize that their words will get innocent people injured or killed.  As the Brits say, I'm gobsmacked.

It's another reason I'm glad I'm mobile.  I was never one predicting societal doom, but I'm sure glad I don't abide anywhere near an area of racial volatility, especially when the political/media beast wants someone to kill someone else.  Still, I think I'll put together the survival rifle and make sure a loaded magazine is in it.

On a brighter note, the neighbors have invited me over for hot dogs and beans tonight and I have accepted and let them know I'll bring a case of Narragansett Beer.  Suddenly, I'm very popular.