Saturday, July 20, 2013

Old pickup truck, clear mountain morning

My life is now a Willie Nelson song.

It's still a little warmer than I would like, and the air quality is poor, but it is a beautiful morning and I enjoyed sleeping on the porch in my tent/cot combo.  I had a fine mountain run of about 2.5 miles, according to my fussy German pedometer.

One of the pleasures in waiting while Paddy has his advanced yoga class in an art gallery in town, and, yes, I dote on this old man but he was my mentor and the closest thing to a father I ever had, is that I can use the coffee shop's WiFi and actually read news from the arts world.  Otherwise, I don't much care for the news anymore, especially when we have yet another contrived "national conversation about race" that is merely a planned distraction from a myriad collection of government scandals and outrageous behavior.

Paddy loves movies, so we may head into the college town to the theater there.  As I don't go to movies that feature explosions as plot devices, a disregard for death [sorry, but as a wartime Marine, I saw what effect even one death of even an enemy had on those of his family and friends; so much so that the piles of dead in films tends to disquiet me], leading men who can't grow facial hair or speak in a timbre lower than that of an 8-year-old, or have a running time of over 90 minutes, that leaves me little to watch.

However, I am willing to see the latest version of "Much Ado About Nothing", especially after reading the review that contains the following:

In a few close, soft-lit shots, the film establishes an evening garden party more enchanting by far than those in Baz Luhrmann’s Gatsby — those garish, ten-kiloton throw-downs with their CGI fireworks, fantastic costumes, and blistering Auto-tuned soundtrack produced by the current king of faux-intellectual boors, rapper Jay-Z. By contrast, Leonato’s shindig is set to the music of relaxed conversation and one of the play’s original ballads, delivered in a sultry croon by Maurissa Tancharoen (the director’s sister-in-law, accompanied by her husband Jed Whedon in a brief cameo on the piano).

Right on the money about that Jay-Z knucklehead, too.