Friday, July 12, 2013

Hey, the KOA has wi-fi

Starting next year, graduate students teaching introductory-level courses in philosophy at Georgia State, who teach about half of all such sections offered, will use syllabuses that include at least 20 percent women philosophers. That's at least double the number included on most syllabuses for the course at the university. The effort is an extension of preliminary research by Eddy Nahmias, professor of philosophy, and several of his graduate students, Toni Adleberg and Morgan Thompson, into why male and female students enroll in introductory-level courses in similar numbers but women drop out of the discipline in much greater numbers.

I've never really understood why a female student can't take a class with a male professor.  It is rare that a male student blames female faculty for their lack of interest in a subject area; not so with women students.  It just seems like an excuse to cover up a lack of scholarship or intelligence.  Yes, I know one can't say that on a campus, but that's part of the freedom of being a surf bum.

Ditto the representation of a percentage of women scholars in the curriculum.  That isn't a magic formula that reverses the gross disappointment felt by a college co-ed when she discovers that she isn't as special as her high school teachers told her.  That, too, always seems more horrific to women students than male.

Exclusive: Criminal charges against Solyndra founder are unlikely - sources

Gosh, it's like he knows someone in the government, isn't it?

PeekAnalytics Uses Twitter Data To Map America’s Favorite Burger Chains

Yet another tool for finding road food.  When I need a 900 calorie meal, and I'm on the West Coast, In-and-Out Burger is place to go.  On the East Coast, it's Five Guys.

Indiana school district loses $300K because students refuse to buy first lady’s healthy meals

I guess no one in government realized that school meals are the way they are because that's what students eat.  There is not one professional educator who didn't realize that forcing "healthy" food on students would not make them like it, eat it, or spend money on it.  It was really just about political posturing for the First Lady.

When I first heard of this plan, I joked with my fellow professors that this would be the time to get into black market alternatives to the new school menu, as I knew there was now a niche for it.

Butler Co. man accused of having sex with pool float

There's a law about this?  Here's the understatement of the week: "After Tobergta's 2011 arrest, a family member said Tobergta has mental issues and needed help. It's not known if he has undergone treatment."

Ex-Chancellor 'hoards 38,000 cigarettes'

This makes me want to start smoking; right after I throw out all of my fish oil.