Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The NSSF just piddled on the palace steps

Because of where I used to teach and the political connections of former students who have since gone on to prominent positions in government and media, I get a lot of inside information as to personalities and such.  Before the election that brought us the current administration, I heard from a "former" about John McCain's constant tantrums and Barack Obama's casual duplicity.  These were observations, not criticisms, as my "former", a lobbyist, was well-entrenched in power structure.

About a year ago, in one of my infrequent visits to my university club, I met with him at lunch and listened to his take on what he assumed would be the incoming senators.  He was especially gleeful about then-Congressman from Connecticut.

"He's a dope", he said, rather easily.
"Oh?"
"I mean, we all know that there's no intelligence test for electability; that, and the "party guys" will get promoted as long as they say what's in front of them and vote the way their handlers want them to.  Free thinking is frowned upon.  Connecticut's Democratic machine likes him because he's too stupid to ever excrete an original thought.  That's also why lobbyists like him."

Well, I was used to harsh statements like that.  I don't know the man, so I'm not one to judge.  Besides, in my current non-resident status of "have surfboard, will travel", I feel as if I have no representation at all.  That isn't necessarily a complaint, either.

So, I was amused at the reaction of Connecticut's synoptic reps when I read this article, especially the reaction of one of their senators:

"It's pretty funny that the NSSF actually believes that their position on Coltsville matters to anyone,'' Murphy said. "I can tell you that Chairman [Ron] Wyden was not waiting to hear some gun lobbyist's position on Coltsville before proceeding on our bill to revitalize the South End and downtown of Hartford. The NSSF should go back to their bread and butter — scaring people into believing that the only way to stop gun violence in our schools is to put more guns in our schools."

What a foul and hostile representation this was; and what a condescending expression.  I wonder whose words he's reading?