
Some day I'll tell you of Paddy, an Irishman who was my boss in the early days of my career and later, after he was semi-retired, became one of the educators in my department. He has taught all over the world, spending many years in Greece and Seattle, and has now embraced full retirement in a cabin in the mountains of far upstate New York. His road isn't on any GPS system and is impossible to find on Google Maps. In other words, it's perfect.
He has invited me to join him for a few days at his cabin, so rustic that he uses a generator and has no Internet and is far away from any real cell phone network. He does, however, have a land-line telephone, so I can be in touch with him, especially when I get lost again trying to find his house. It seems like a good idea because the beaches are getting crowded, what with the weekend coming and the heat wave and all, and the mountains are cooler. I'm leaving a day earlier than planned to beat the traffic as best I can.
Postings will be sparse for the next few days.