Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's been awhile since I read Lileks' Bleat; I'm glad I saved this bit from a few months ago, though

I'm not a Catholic, but I don't care for ridiculing anyone for a spiritual belief.  Even someone with a marginal knowledge of history knows that religoius people have made a positive difference in the world.  For those who would now holler "Crusades" or "pedophilia", I'd point out the record of government atrocity is still far, far greater.  Yet, the same people who mock religion seem more than willing to trust implicity a government to take care of them.

From today's posting:

The Onion tweeted this bio of Pope Francis, and I shrugged and unfollowed. Now: does the person who wrote that think he is a better person than the Pope? I guarantee it. The writer, I’d bet, holds certain ideological positions which are the mark of a Proper Person, and whose possession insulates the holder from all sorts of criticism. The Pope, for example, does not believe in changing marriage, which means one can safely put him in the “hater” or “-phobe” category that frees one from additional intellectual expenditures. There’s the story going around about his visit to an AIDS clinic, where he washed and kissed the feet of sufferers, which the author of the Onion piece would dismiss as a PR stunt without any regard for the meaning of the act, and then also make a face and say “really, seriously? Ick.”

Oh, there's more and you should go to the link and read it all.