Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Adversity

Flat waves this morning and not much worth riding.  I was thinking about just going for a swim, but I may go the other direction and check out the aquarium in Mystic, instead.  The seaport was great, I even became a member, so I should be able to spend some time at the aquarium with the same joy.

I rarely miss television, as I seem to have aged past the target demographic.  As I worked with young adults for a living, I still understand most of the cultural references and recognize some of the music, but reality shows are more than tedious and "comedies" aren't really funny.  But I want to watch the All-Star Game, which means a drive into Providence.  Maybe.

I was a guest lecturer at Brown University for a semester once upon a time and hosted an evening seminar on Thursdays.  As my wife was back home, I slaked my loneliness having one non-university centered experience each week; a late dinner at a place on Thayer Street called Max's Upstairs.  It's nothing to write home about, but they had some tasty ribs and, best of all, Labatt's Blue on tap, and it was great to sit at the bar and watch the Red Sox with the regulars.  As it was in a walk-up, you could look down on the street if the game were dull and watch the Thayer nightlife.

I better make sure it's still there, though, as Providence is a good 45 minutes or so from here and I don't want to make the trip without reason.

Update:  Yeah, it's gone.  So is the "organic" place that replaced it.  My campsite neighbor suggested one of the casinos, either Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun, which I thought was brilliant of him, as they are just 20-25 minutes away from here.