Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hey, all.  I got busy doing some cash-only carpentry work for a person in this gated community.  We had to do it on the sly as I'm unlicensed and operating without a work permit, but it was just a simple repair to a patio deck with a slight change in shape.

Yes, I can work with wood.  It's one of my few talents.  Three generations of carpenters proceed me and my dad was always sure I knew how to use tools.  I used to enjoy working on small projects for my wife, all those many years ago; another life, really, and one that I often miss.

Anyway, it was fun to spend a few days sawing and hammering.  Well, the wood was mostly pre-cut and I use a nail gun and drill nowadays, but still.  It was particularly nice to be handed $500 in cash when the job was done, too.  Nothing for the tax man or Crazy Barry.

I ran in a local 5K on Veterans' Day, meeting a few of the local old Marines, all of whom gather at a local restaurant for breakfast once a month, so that will provide some socialization.

Speaking of which, my summer fling wants to visit around Christmas.  I've been getting comfortable here, meeting the local old boys, doing some neighborly work, and being blissfully ignored by the local surfing youngsters.  Complicated middle-aged woman in need of servicing might mess up this harmony. Then again, southern California and a trip across the U.S. might beckon.

Man, these are really first-world problems, aren't' they?